Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Opinions Are Important

    
Yesterday, I was a bit derisive of opinions and my attachment to my own. But opinions are important. They are the way we find out what our community thinks. Whether we find them on blogs, in our local or national newspapers, or on TV,  they inform us of our own and other societies’s standards.

     When small I was a shy and quiet child.  I could be in the same room with adults and listen in on their seemingly unguarded conversations. I felt a bit invisible, as if they weren't aware of my presence. I learned a lot that way.  I still hold my thoughts in meetings and public discussions in order to get the full drift and the consensus or lack thereof.  This is not so I can agree with the majority or find the safest position. I bide my time, so that I don’t prematurely express the conclusions and judgments that my mind automatically spews out for consideration. I try to find the middle ground and the most reasonable position given all the perspectives. 

     I wonder if I would have made a good diplomat, but that career choice never crossed my mind until just now. Maybe that's  because in one-on-one, I tend more to dominate and interrupt, holding my opinions and thought processes in the highest regard. Quite annoying to my family and friends.   

     Hopefully, by blogging alone at my desk, I can make listening more my practice when with others.



No comments:

Post a Comment